Facing Criminal Charges?

Your Reputation, Finances And Freedom Are On The Line.

Post Conviction Remedies

New Jersey Post-Conviction Remedies Attorney

Even after a conviction, there are many opportunities to improve the legal consequences you face. My name is Anthony N. Palumbo, New Jersey criminal defense lawyer and at The Law Offices of Anthony N. Palumbo, I have over 35 years ensuring that my clients receive a skillful and vigorous defense from beginning to end. If you have received an adverse sentence, I may be able to obtain the relief you’re looking for. Contact me today and discuss the remedies of post-conviction relief with an experienced criminal defense attorney.

Deadlines to act on post-conviction remedies are very strict so call immediately. Contact me today at 908-272-9700 for a Free Consultation with no obligation and find out immediately whether positive action can be taken against your sentence. I will give you the legal advice you need to make a decision.

For more information on the Criminal Process in New Jersey, please visit:

NJ Post Conviction Remedies

Post conviction remedies generally encompass three different procedures. First, it may refer to the legal procedure in which the defendant challenges the conviction or the sentence based on certain errors that occurred at the trial. In this type of situation, it may be appropriate to ask for a motion to vacate sentence or a motion for a new trial. Secondly, post conviction remedies may refer to the right to a direct appeal. And thirdly, it may mean the due process procedure of requesting a reconsideration of a sentence after the direct appeal process has been exhausted. This last type of relief refers to the possibility of filing a general habeas corpus petition to correct constitutional problems with the case.

Whether a certain type of post conviction relief is appropriate for you depends on the particular circumstances of your case. At The Law Offices of Anthony N. Palumbo, I am always available to discuss the remedies in your case. Contact me today for a Free Consultation at 908-272-9700 .

Time Limits for Post Conviction Relief

There are time limitations for taking actions on post conviction remedies and when deadlines are missed, it can shut the door to post conviction remedies forever. Even when it seems like there is adequate time to take action, it is always important to contact an attorney just to be sure irreparable damage isn’t done. At the firm of The Law Offices of Anthony N. Palumbo, I offer everyone a free consultation to discuss an important decision with no obligation.

The following is a general outline of the time limits individuals seeking post conviction remedies will face. Most petitions must be filed within five years of the judgment or sentence which the client seeks to attack unless the client has excusable neglect for not bringing the petition sooner.

A petition dismissed without prejudice because a direct appeal is pending shall be treated as the first petition if filed within 90 days of judgment on direct appeal or within five years after rendition of judgment or sentence to be attacked, whichever is later. A petition dismissed without prejudice for not setting forth cognizable grounds or failing to include the proper information shall be treated as the first petition if amended and refilled within 90 days of dismissal or 5 years after rendition of judgment or sentence to be attacked. A petition to correct an illegal sentence can be filed at any time

NJ Post Conviction Remedy Attorney

If you have been convicted of a crime in New Jersey, you may still be able to avoid the applicable penalties. I will fight for your innocence, and do everything possible to ensure that post conviction remedies resolve the conviction in your favor. As part of my services, I offer every client a free initial consultation.

Contact me today at 908-272-9700 , and I’ll give you an honest assessment of the possibilities for relief in your case. I have helped clients pursue post-conviction remedies throughout New Jersey including Middlesex, Monmouth, Union, Ocean, and Essex County for more than 35 years.